The European Commission has officially announced the launch of an experiment to identify the most appropriate verification system for environmental footprint information (product and organisation) across Europe.
Sign up to be informed about the launch of the call for volunteers. The aim of this three-year testing period is to put forward the PEF (Product Environmental Footprint) method for big businesses and SMEs and to provide principles for communicating environmental performance.
Hop-Cube organizes a free informational webinar on the European pilot for Product and Organisation environmental footprint
- End of May 2013 : Publication of open call for volunteers
- 26th July 2013 : Expected deadline for applications
- August 2013 : Selection of participants completed
- September 2013 : Start of 1st wave of pilots
- March 2014 : Start of 2nd wave of pilots and start of testing verification processes
- January 2015 : Start of tests of communication vehicles
What are the challenges for companies ?
Consumers and society are in demand for more sustainable guarantees* and the international regulation quickly evolved during the 3 last years. Aware of the challenges faced by businesses, Hop-Cube facilitates environmental labeling of products and organisations.
More information on Organisation/Product Environmental Footprint pilot tests
|PEF Product Environmental Footprint||OEF Organisation Environmental Footprint|
|Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) is a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) based method to calculate the environmental performance of a product.||Organisation Environmental Footprint (OEF) is a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) based method to calculate the environmental performance of an organisation.|
Goals of the European Commission
- To set up and validate the process of the development of product group-specific rules (Product Environmental Footprint Category Rules – PEFCRs), including the development of performance benchmarks. Where product group-specific rules already exist and are used by stakeholders, the Commission will use these as a basis for the development of the PEFCRs;
- To make the application of the environmental footprint methods easier, especially for SMEs, by testing innovative ways of managing the process and through the development of tools;
- To test different compliance and verification systems, in order to set up and validate proportionate, effective and efficient compliance and verification systems;
- To test different business-to-business and business-to-consumer communication vehicles for PEF information in collaboration with stakeholders.
What are the steps to conduct an effective testing?
- Define a goal of the study;
- Define a scope of the study and adapt PEF (Environmental Product Footprint) or OEF (Organisation Environmental Footprint) recommendations;
- Collect environmental data from production sites and suppliers;
- Calculate environmental impact indicators according to the methodology;
- Design communication vehicles for publishing the results (educational content, actions highlight, etc.);
- Communicate on environmental impacts and measure the response of the targeted audience.
Benefits of the testing for volontary companies
- Measure environmental performance throughout the lifecycle of the product and the company;
- Optimize the product value chain and reduce production costs;
- Participate in the standardization of methodologies at European level and be a creative force in PEF or OEF debates;
- Anticipate a future European regulation and prepare your internal organisation to produce environmental reports;
- Use environmental information to build a competitive advantage;
Hop-Cube provides support and expertise to volunteers
Based on its participation to French experiment on PEF. Hop-Cube supports you throughout the experimentaiton process step by step.Our advice team is at your disposal to help you considerate all the parameters of your project:
- To Organise a European-wide approach;
- Form and animate working groups;
- Implement testing and ensure an optimal display (clarity, transparency, reliability) of the environmental characteristics of your products;
- Measure the performance of the display and build a complete report of the pilot test.
The software solution HopMedia
The HopMedia software solution and associated services implement an effective and sustainable management of your project.